Jewish 3-Hour Private Tour To Delos Island; Mykonos is best known today for its throbbing sunset parties, where top international DJs hold court at exclusive beach clubs. Actually, that fits, given that Apollo, the god of music and light, was said to have been born two Kilometers away from Mykonos, on a small island called Delos that many believe the island houses the oldest synagogue in the Diaspora.
Delos Synagogue; The island museum, full of myths and history. Explore and admire the Jewish heritage where the Jewish Synagogue is located.
Highlights of the Jewish 3-Hour Private Tour To Delos Island
- Visit in 3 hours Delos island by boat and see the holy island of Ancient Greece
- Take a private guided tour to the Jewish Synagogue on the other part of the island
- Learn the Jewish history of the island from a licensed guide
- Explore the Archaeological Museum of Delos
Details Of The Jewish 3-Hour Private Tour To Delos Island
Today you will have the chance to visit the legendary island of Delos. Start from the Old Port of Mykonos City by boat that departs at 5:00 PM. You will be sailing for half an hour till you reach the uninhabited island of Delos. Delos is considered the holy island of Ancient Greece. Here you will have the chance to have a private tour of the Jewish Synagogue, which is on the other part of the island.
You will learn the Jewish history of Delos island through our licensed guide. After you will admire the very interesting guide of the Synagogue you will have enough time to explore the Museum of Delos before you board the boat to return to Mykonos.
The synagogue of Delos, Greece
The Jewish Synagogue on Delos island, Mykonos is one of the oldest synagogues known today! Its proposed origin dates between 150 and 128 BCE. The existence of Jews here is referred to in the Book of Maccabees, while Flavius Josephus mentions them as well. The island of Delos was an important religious center and cosmopolitan trade city. However, the island was comparable in the Hellenistic period to Pompeii. During that era, Delos had as many as 30.000 inhabitants, hailing from all parts.
Merchant guilds were established here, including ones from Alexandria, where Jews were numerous. Such prosperity, which lasted until the dawn of the Christian era, certainly drew Jews here, such as Samaritans. Nevertheless, their history still remains unknown. The building’s most recent use is widely agreed to have been an assembly hall for Jews or Samaritans.
However, the first use of the building is more controversial. While some people think the building was erected as a private house or a pagan meeting place, most believe that it was a synagogue even in its earliest form. Located on the eastern side of the city of Delos, the synagogue was far from the central areas. Instead, the synagogue was built in a section of Delos called the Quartier du Stade. Join us!
- Meeting point: Meet at the Old Port of Mykonos City.
- Transfer offered; Travelers pick up/drop off is offered.
- Pick up from; We will pick you up from any Villa, hotel, suite, or apartment in Mykonos island, Mykonos port, and cruise port at the cruise ship pier at an extra cost!
- Info needed; When booking makes sure to include the name and address of your accommodation or the name of the cruise line and the cruise ship!
- Drop off; We will drop you off at the same place we have picked you up or at any hotel, address of your accommodation, or yacht and cruise ship!
Available: May, till October
- Day: Daily
Meeting point: Meet at the Old Port of Mykonos City
- Morning Meeting Time: 10:00 Start time: 10:30 Return time: 15:00
Afternoon Meet time: 16:30 Start time: 17:00 Return time: 21:00
- Language: English
What is Included
- 1.5-hour private guided tour with a licensed guide
- Round-trip boat cruise to Delos from the Old Port of Mykonos City
- English speaking Tour guide
What is Excluded
- Entrance fees to the archaeological sites and museum
- Personal expenses
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and beverage
- Private tour
- Activity level: Moderate
- Departures: May 04, 2021, till October 30, 2021
- Due to the high complexity and uncertainty of contemporary transportation, as well as unexpected situations, the planned itinerary can change at any moment and our choices may be affected by any social, economic, or environmental phenomena!
- Not allowed: Oversize luggage, Luggage, or large bags
- Id or passport must be presented to verify age & country of origin.
How will we use the information you will give us about yourself?
- Passenger Detail; We need basic contact details so we can send appropriate booking information to you as well as make sure the supplier can contact you should they need to.
- Flight Details; We will need to know your exact travel details so they can track flight time as well as make sure they get you to and from your destination with no delay.
- Accommodation Details; We need to know your pick-up and drop-off address to ensure the right price and that we know exactly where to meet you or take you.
- Payment Details; We will pass your payment details to our secure payment provider, but we do not see or store any of these details on our website payment details.
What to bring
- Comfortable shoes
- Sun hat
- Face mask or protective covering
- Dress: religious and memorial sites: shoulders and knee must be covered.
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- A voucher will be emailed to you with our contact numbers and all the necessary information for your tour.
- This is your ticket and proof of purchase. On the day of the tour please present a paper voucher in order to redeem your tour/activity.
Persons with Disabilities
- Due to uneven surfaces, certain sites are not recommended for persons with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair. Most of Mykonos Town (Chora) commercial center is either flat or has cobblestone, flagstone-paved streets and lanes with slight inclines, though there are some lanes that have steps. Note though, the center is surrounded by hills, some of which are steep, but you could easily avoid those and still have plenty to see on flatter terrain. Alternatively, you could visit a beach like Platis Gialos or Ornos with a good selection of hotels & restaurants alongside or close to the beaches which are flat!
- In all cases, we recommend comfortable flat-soled walking shoes, sunglasses, and sunscreen.
- For guests who are full-time wheelchair users, a ramp vehicle will be needed. Guests may remain in their wheelchairs or scooter for the duration of the excursion. Wheelchair or scooter dimensions are required in order to confirm the correct vehicle!
- Wheelchair or small scooter folding type only. (Please note that disabled passengers must be able to board the vehicle independently or with the assistance of those in their party.)
Holidays in Greece
- January 1: closed
- January 6: 08:30 AM – 03:00 PM
- Shrove Monday: 08:30 AM – 03:00 PM
- March 25: closed
- Good Friday: 12:00 PM – 03:00 PM
- Holy Saturday: 08:30 AM – 03:00 PM
- Easter Sunday: closed
- Easter Monday: 08:30 AM – 03:00 PM
- May 1: closed
- Holy Spirit Day: 08:30 AM – 03:00 PM
- 15 August 15: 08:30 AM – 03:00 PM
- October 28: 08:30 AM- 03:00 PM
- December 25 & 26: closed
- Free cancellation
- Cancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund